MIAMI — Sudsies Dry Cleaning & Laundry recently announced that it has received a 5-star rating from the Green Cleaners Council for using sustainable practices in every aspect of their business. This makes the Miami-based business the first dry cleaners in Florida to ever receive a perfect rating.
This is not the first time Sudsies has earned high marks from the organization. The Council, one of the leading authorities on environmental dry-cleaning, awarded Sudsies a 4.5-star review in 2016 — the highest ranking in Florida at the time.
The panel that reviews and ranks dry cleaning companies' eco-efforts uses such a strict scale that Sudsies remains one of just two South Florida cleaners with the merit. Part of the Council's guidelines include:
- Wet cleaning capabilities
- Recycling programs (hangers, plastic, water, etc.)
- Investment in technology, goods, and services that exceed regulatory requirements (use of biodegradable plastics, carpooling program)
- Water and energy conservation, alternative energy programs, carbon offset programs, energy efficiency, hybrid vehicles, etc.
- Education and training in environmental regulations and compliance
In its release announcing the rating, Sudsies noted other ways it is striving to improve its environmental practices. Some of these efforts include:
- Using eco-friendly cleaning solvents — Sudsies PERC-free method uses water and specialized detergents. Its EPA-sanctioned process is friendly on fabrics and eliminates hazardous chemicals and toxic waste, making it safe on sensitive skin.
- Using recycled hangers — The company's hangers are reusable or can be returned to them for recycling. This helps reduce waste and ultimately saves resources.
- Reducing emissions — Its fleet of vehicles has optimized routes, meaning drivers make more pick-ups while covering fewer miles, saving their customers' fuel and reducing their carbon footprints.
Have a question or comment? E-mail our editor Dave Davis at [email protected].